Wednesday, August 3, 2011

FRED AKEL

"For the most part, I do not do a lot of planning in what I paint. I ordinarily begin by washing in things --ideas-- just to get past an intimidating blank canvas. Then I will apply paint, and then I take some of the paint back. At the same time, I am thinking about form, angles, color and line. I let the paint lead me. I usually overpaint several times until eventually dominant images appear and theme for the composition emerges. In the end, it may require different layers of glazes, etc. to bring the piece to a whole. It's not a process I am particularly delighted with as it appears to bring out something stored within that can be unpredictable and scary. I am now thinking on moving on to traditional landscapes. More planning and enjoying and peace of mind. We do live in a very beautiful part of the state."

No comments: