Saturday, January 15, 2011

KELEE MADDOX

"I hadn't been able to always create the look that I wanted with my previous methods of jewelry making, and I eventually decided that I was going to have to add another element to my work. So, over the past year, I added sterling silver wire to my necklaces. I tried for a long time to make clay look like rocks. Then I decided I should just be using rocks. It turned out not to be quite that easy. Alison Dubilier and I worked on and off for years to develop a technique to work in the way that we wanted. Learning to use sterling silver wire was the last step that I needed to be able to make the rock pendants that I'd been trying to make for years. I love the simplicity of the rock and the silver together and also the contrast with the beads. I spend a lot of time working with yarn. This year I worked on a series of hats inspired by the sentiment of the mullet. They embody the 'business in the front, party in the back' idea, but they do so stylishly."




No comments: