Thursday, August 12, 2010

BETH MCADAMS



"My motivation for painting is color-- to experience it, to experiment with it, and to use it as a tool to define form, create depth, and balance composition. I love contained forms and so use a lot of line to delineate and link the various element of a painting. Shadows also interest me-- the stark contrast between light and dark, and the characteristics of shadow that allow you to understand the object without its being present. My goal is not to paint representationally, but to simplify objects to the point where they become iconic, or almost 'super real.' This applies especially when I am painting flowers. However, whether or not my painting is objective or non-objective, I hope that the end result will be pleasing to the viewer and inspire at least a second look!"




No comments: